Friday, October 16, 2009

#89... oil pourers

Tyler is the chef in our house, and he asked for some pourers for Olive Oil and Grape Seed Oil, so that he would not have to constantly fumble with large bulk bottles from Costco, and actually leave them out near the stove.

Tomorrow is his birthday, so I thought I would surprise him with some. I wanted to simply use vintage bottles and add new pourers; however, I had a disappointing trip to the resale shops, and could not come up with any old bottles that did not look like they had once housed motor oil. I stopped by a $1 store, and found these pourers (at right). Since roosters are not really my style, I decided to embellish the jars.

I have this Dover Decorative Letters book that has a CD-rom with it, so I created the words "Olive" and "Grape" and simply sized them down and printed them out. I wrapped a sleeve of decorative paper around the rooster motif and using Mod Podge I adhered the decorative paper and then the words. I painted the Mod Podge over the entire sleeve with several coats and let dry. Mod Podge goes on white, but dries clear and creates a latex coating over the paper that will be easy to wipe up. We'll see how messy a chef he is to how long the cute sleeves last. This project took about an hour to complete, and was super easy, as I did it with my eyes glued to Project Runway last night!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These look great! Silly me, I hadn't thought of using Mod Podge...
I have a couple of pourers I made the same way, but they are still in the craft cupboard waiting for new labels. I used Lorina french soda bottles from HEB, they have a lovely old shape to them. You just inspired me to get them finished :-)