Wednesday, December 8, 2010

#271...festive pom poms

I had decided to take a break from putting up my Christmas tree this year, but then I saw this fun tutorial on making a felt ball garland by Jordan of Oh Happy Day, and got inspired to do a little pom pom decorating.
Jordan used beautiful felt balls for her garland, but being short of time I decided to go the locally available route, and used colored pom poms sold in packs of 300 from Michaels for about $5.

To make the garland, I used thick embroidery floss and a needle. I tied a knot at the bottom of the thread, and threaded the first pom pom on. Then I tied a knot about 2 inches from the pom pom and threaded the next pom pom. The knots serve as stoppers for the pom poms, keeping them spaced out. Instead of making really long strands, I made 3 ft. sections and then tied them together to make one longer garland.
I bought two small Rosemary plants at Home Depot, and my bag of 300 assorted pom poms yielded me enough garland to wrap both little plants. I also had enough leftover to embellish a wreath with pom poms.

I liked making the garlands so much, that I got carried away and  decided to adorn a Norfolk Island Pine with a white pom pom garland while I was at it. Thus far my cat has left the pom poms alone. I'm crossing my fingers they make it through the season! 

2 comments:

My Galveston Cottage said...

How fun and festive! I love your creativity!

melifaif said...

Norflok Island Pines are my absolute favorite. The pom poms did you well....er, did you do the pom poms well. Yes, I think the latter.